Comics, Concept Art, Creative Ideas...

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Old Old School Batman


For a very short time right after Batman debuted back in 1939, he was one badass MFer. He was like a mix between The Shadow and James Bond (James Bond wasn't around back then but you get the reference). This is the Batman I'd want to do (not to say that there aren't other versions of the character I'd like to give a shot at). He looked very different, very menacing, and he actually carried a gun a few times. Within a year or two he became the washed out bland character that he remained until the 1970s (not to say there weren't some high points in there). Every now and then we see someone take a shot at this version but it's never really been played seriously and it's potential has never been realized. If I were to "Ultimatize" Batman, this is the version I'd do.

3 comments:

Sol (Frederick) Badguy said...

Batman's classic mask looks like it holds two old school radio antanas.

I in more appreciation of the shorter ears and no guns Batman. Did this Batman hold batarings?

Todd Merrick Novak (aka beanlynch) said...

I have an appreciation for just about every take at Batman. The versions that interest me most are this version and the Neil Adams version (still superhero-ish but more realistic). I like other versions as well, the only thing about the Dark Knight/Year One sort of Batman is that it's been done so much, it's just not quite as fresh to me anymore.

In his earliest days Batman was more like a pulp hero than the character he became. No, I wouldn't like the modern Batman with a gun either. This Batman was more like James Bond, there was the element of the fantastic to him. I imagine this take having a "Goldfinger" approach to the story.

Todd Merrick Novak (aka beanlynch) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.